Pages


Sunday, December 8, 2013

Full Circle

Wow crazy days!!  Time has flown so fast not only since my last post but over the year in general. Can’t believe it’s almost 2014. 

The last few months have been very challenging for me on many levels, and whilst there have been a few lows, there have also been some positives.

So where to start………

My training hasn’t been spectacular this year. Nowhere near where I was this time last year.  I’ve struggled to adjust to my new schedule from running my own business and focusing on my clients and then starting as a coach with CrossFit Nouveau.  Both of these roles I have LOVED but yes it’s been a steep learning curve. 
I have struggled to find a purpose, a direction I wanted to take my training in. I haven’t spent much time with a coach 1:1 as I would have normally wanted to and I find that helps me a lot to stay focused.  

However the last 6 weeks I have discovered a purpose & passion and have some very specific goals.  I have started training for Powerlifting events (Deadlift, Back Squat, Bench Press).  This style of lifting I have always loved and have been relatively good at.  So after a brief conversation with one of the most passionate and talented Powerlifters, and coaches I know, Les, I have entered my first event.  He gave me an accelerated program and has helped me so much along the way. I’ve hit every training session and whilst I have found it very mentally and physically challenging it’s been just what I needed.

Yes I am nervous about the event and fully expect to have my arse handed to me on a plate, this event is about learning and experiencing for me. I have only had a 6 week prep so let’s be realistic.

Also in 2014 there is going to be a Strongman series in QLD so I will be entering that as well. The first comp is in Jan and looks heaps of fun.

Today I’ve been given cause to look at how far my life has come in just a year – from losing my job and all security this time last year to running a successful PT business and also making a career as a CrossFit Coach. Something that I love & cherish immensely.  Today I fitted another piece into the puzzle by attaining the CrossFit Kids Certification.  The course was amazing and gave a whole new dimension to working with the kiddo’s.  I already run Kids fitness classes but this new toolkit will really enable me to take it further and help the kids develop in all areas of their life and have a much more positive impact of them. 

I never thought I would be one who had an aptitude to work with Kids but over the last 6mths or so I have found it one of my most enjoyable sessions of the week. They teach me so much about myself both as a person and a coach and always make me laugh!!

This weekend also gave me some light at the end of a VERY long tunnel I have walked through my entire life.  As a child I had some developmental issues with my motor skills, muscles, co-ordination etc. I simply could not run or jump like the other kids.  Today I still struggle to do many of the movements most people take forgranted.  I’ve never done a forward roll for example or dived into a pool or handstands & cartwheels etc. I was late to walk as a baby and never crawled.  All throughout life people have judged my lack of ability with these skills to be simply a matter of being overweight or unfit. It’s not the case and I’ve spent years justifying it but to be honest the majority just don’t believe me.

It’s always been an issue that caused me great heartache. I never felt normal and when people give you ‘the look’ it just makes it worse.  In order to try by some miracle to improve my skills in this area to be more proficient as a coach I had arranged to work with a superstar gymnastics coach privately in the new year.  I didn’t hold out much hope that I would actually be able to do the movements but I certainly knew I would understand them better to coach them.

But here’s the moment that flicked a light and some hope that I might be ‘cured’, one of the seminar staff this weekend who is also a physical therapist spoke about how some kids have developmental issues with certain skills such as and listed off all the things I couldn’t do and this usually was seen in babies who specifically did not crawl but got around on their butt. OMG she was telling my story. And then she went on to talk about the therapies they used to help correct the deficiency in these kids.

So today at lunch I asked Kelly about it and told her my story and wondered if it was too late to improve my issues.  She was really excited when I told her and she totally thought we could start reversing some of the ‘stuff’ but clearly unlike a 7yr old it would take a bit longer.  She gave me some drills to get myself started and some concepts to work towards. Sadly she comes from the US so I can’t go see her but this is a very positive outcome.  I was actually excited that one day I could do all those little things which for me are huge.
So now I have some things to give to my gymnastics guru when we start sessions and something to work towards long term.  

And maybe one day I can feel like the normal kids and not have to see ‘the look’ anymore.

This year has been a blur of good, bad, indifferent, soaring highs and crushing lows.  I have learnt a lot about running a business and making the hard decisions that need to be made. I have learnt a lot as a trainer and as a coach.  I’m not perfect but I know I try bloody hard to do the best I can and put my client’s needs  ahead of my own.  I’ve learnt a lot about human nature and the good and the bad to that. I’ve tried not to let the bad jade me or change who I am but yes some of the experiences have done that to a degree both for the better and not.


Two years ago I had bottomed out and couldn’t see much point to anything. Last year with a crisis that pushed me in the direction of where I truly should be heading. And I know 2014 will be another epic ride!!!!

1 comment:

  1. congrats! i will be following your lifting with great interest and wish you best of luck for sunday!!

    ReplyDelete